Everolimus 10mg Tablets are a versatile medication used in the medical field for both oncology and transplant medicine. Everolimus functions as an mTOR inhibitor and is a macrolide immunosuppressant, which plays a crucial role in regulating cell growth, proliferation, and the immune response.
For transplant patients, Everolimus is instrumental in preventing organ rejection by modulating the body’s immune system to accept the new organ. It’s vital for maintaining the health and functionality of transplanted organs, such as kidneys and livers, by reducing the immune system’s activity against these organs.
Everolimus exhibits its efficacy by slowing or stopping the growth of cancer cells and preventing tumors from developing their own blood vessels. This action is beneficial across a spectrum of cancers, including advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women, specific advanced neuroendocrine tumors, advanced renal cell carcinoma, and conditions associated with tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) like partial-onset seizures and renal angiomyolipoma. It’s also used for the treatment of subependymal giant cell astrocytoma (SEGA) associated with TSC that requires treatment but cannot be surgically removed.
Benefits and Uses:
1. Prevention of Organ Rejection:
- Primary Use: Everolimus is crucial for transplant patients, significantly reducing the immune system’s activity against transplanted organs like kidneys and livers, thus preventing rejection.
- Mechanism: As an mTOR inhibitor, it modulates the body’s immune response to accept the new organ.
2. Cancer Treatment:
- Versatile in Oncology: Effective against various cancers, including breast, pancreatic, lung, and kidney cancers.
- Action: Slows/stops the growth of cancer cells and prevents tumors from developing their blood vessels, addressing conditions associated with tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC).